Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Eve a la Art Nouveau


The New Year's Eve table is set
in anticipation of our annual New Year's
party pals, the Millers.
Last year, Kimberly did New Year's Eve and
what a table she put together for the event.
You can see it HERE
Now, it's my turn and I truly believe 
that New Year's is the most difficult
holiday for a tablescape.
 Please join me as I put this table together.....

I started with this over-the-top placemat, even though we both have them and 
 Kimberly used it last year, too.
I mean, seriously, if it isn't pressed into service for New Year's Eve, 
then when else can you use something this glitzy?

Next, my trusty architectural chargers from Pottery Barn.  
Probably my favorite chargers, because they are
like a chameleon, they just adapt to whatever setting you are using.
Brilliant.

The dinner plates are clocks, which seems to be the de rigueur decorating
theme for New Year's.  They are enormous, but with the menu I'm 
planning, they will be perfect.


Atop the dinner plate are antique, Parisian-looking clock salad plates.
They inspired me to strive towards an art nouveaux theme.





I love searching for clip art to match my
theme, and this art deco-looking lass
seemed to want to join the party.

You can see where these girls have been placed and are two sided
to wish both sides of the table a bonne annee.

My two deco deer candelabra will preside over the festivities.


Shrimp cocktail over crushed ice in these very
retro servers will start out the meal.

 To mirror the silver and black of the tablecloth and runner,
I've enveloped a black Waterford napkin inside a silver
organza napkin with beaded border.  The finishing
touch is the silver and mother of pearl napkin ring,
again, echoing the art nouveau feel.


My go-to place card holders for New Year's Eve are the silver with marabou feathers.
They are holding the deco bordered name cards at each place setting.

Silver embellished butter knives. 

 A trio of glasses -- black water goblets from our wedding registry
31 years ago, clear wine glasses for the delicious chardonnay that
Kim will be providing for tonight's meal, and bling martini glasses
for the dessert.


Glistening pears in shades of mercury and silver are scattered
throughout the center of the table, along with a garland of 
clear 'crystal' beads on a filigree of silver wire.


Another chameleon in my possession is this twig candle holder.
I use it often, and it is quite adaptable and can be used
in all four seasons, depending on the color of candle.

 Butter warmers at each place setting are an indication of 
what's on the menu for the meal ahead......


 Pottery barn flatware in silver and black complete the setting.

Le Menu


Taking a cue from Kimberly and Kim last week, I shall be pressing 
MY hubby  into service as bartender tonight,
making throwback Brandy Alexanders.

Recipes and photos of the meal will be featured in an 
upcoming post.

Happy New Year to Everyone!!!
Kathy and Kimberly
A Graceful Table 

Today we're joining Yvonne at
Stone Gable for 
THE SCOOP- hundreds of diys', crafts, home decor, painted furniture, recipes and all things home ideas-stonegableblog.com
We're joining the gals at
for a linky party!

We're joining Kim at Savvy Southern Style
and Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for
Tablescape Thursday



13 comments:

  1. Stunning! You've put together the perfect dishes and accessories for a gorgeous NY's Eve tablescape. I agree, its one of the harder ones to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! It was fun to do once I got the theme together! Happy New Year to you!!
      Kathy at A Graceful Table

      Delete
  2. You had me with the clock plates! They are SO cute! And I love the menus and all of it. Just a festive and elegant table for a fun New Year!

    Hope yours is happy!

    Dropping by to visit from Susan's blog party. :-)

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! I was NOT going to pay $100 for the Pottery Barn versions, so shopped until I found these. Shall be bopping in to the Quintessential Magpie to check out your blog. Glad you visited!
      Kathy

      Delete
    2. Sheila, would love an invite to your site. Checked it out and am DROOLING over your set of WG Everyday. I have just started collecting this pattern, and am glad to know it's discontinued, shall snatch up every piece I see from now on.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful theme table. It is evident that you are very clever and I know your friends will appreciate all your efforts. ..visiting from Susan's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Peggy, I'm blushing. They did appreciate it as I appreciate your nice comments.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I know your guests felt honored to be dining at this table. It's a perfect setting for bringing in a new year in style. I adore every detail, especially your clock plates. A friend recently gave me a set of four salad / dessert size clock plates. We didn't host a New Year's Eve party, but I'm eager to use them.
    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!! Nice to hear from you! You are lucky, as am I, to have friends that give us dishes. I was the lucky recipient of several treasures this Christmas, and am anxious to have an occasion to use them. Happy New Year, sweetie!
      Kathy

      Delete
  5. The table setting is stunning, perfect to celebrate bringing the New Year in. Love, Love, Love those clock plates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my fave setting this NY's eve. So GLAM in every inch.

    Love them all...

    Happy 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just visited your sweet blog. Love it!! Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  7. So stunning and elegant...very classic. Love the color scheme and the clock plates.

    ReplyDelete