Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas for 10 in Iowa

Once again this year, my sister Sue pulled off 
a Christmas feast for 10 without breaking stride.
An amazing hostess with a 
generous heart, she served up our traditional
Christmas dinner for the entire family.

A 22 pound ham with all the fixin's was served family style.
The green runner had hints of animal print, 
the fresh pine bough arrangement was
fragrant and beautiful.

Mashed potatoes like only she can make...
from potatoes she and her husband grew in their garden.

This is not a group of big drinkers, but Stephanie and I enjoyed a bottle of
wine that she brought back from the Pacific Northwest
while on a three month internship.
It was delicious.

A rare shot of my sister, sitting down, and a not so rare
photo of my niece, Kate, 'hamming' it up.
The framed photo in the background is of us as little girls.




This meal is always so special, not only because it brings
our entire family together, but also because it occurs 
in a 125 year old farm house that belonged to 
my maternal grandparents.  
My sister and I, as well as our mother, as children sat
at this very table in this dining room, in this house, 
eating Christmas ham with Phil and Naoma.
May the tradition continue.
A Merry Christmas, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment